On April 9, 2019, the Board of Trustees of the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation approved the awarding of Guggenheim Fellowships to a diverse group of 168 scholars, artists, and writers. Appointed on the basis of prior achievement and exceptional promise, the successful candidates were chosen from a group of almost 3,000 applicants in the Foundation’s ninety-fifth competition.
The Civitellians awarded:
- Samuel Adams (CRF 2017), Composer, Berkeley, California: Music Composition.
- Mark Dion (CRF 1996), Artist, Copake, New York: Fine Arts.
- Joanna Klink (CRF 2012), Poet, Iowa City, Iowa: Poetry.
- Gerard Passannante (DG 2019), Associate Professor of English and Comparative Literature, University of Maryland: God is in the Detail: Cosmic Order and the Sense of Scale.
- Jen Shyu (CRF 2019), Composer, Brooklyn, New York: Music Composition.