The aim of the Desperate Literature Short Fiction Prize is both to celebrate the best of new short fiction and to give winners the most visibility possible for their writing. That’s why Desperate Literature has teamed up with fourteen different literary and artistic institutions to not only offer cash prizes and writing retreats but also to ensure that all shortlisters have the opportunity to be published in multiple print and online journals, have their work put in front of literary agents, and present their stories in multiple countries. Learn more about the prize and enter here.
– A week’s residency at the Civitella Ranieri Foundation.
– A consultation with Literary Agent Charlotte Seymour from Johnson & Alcock.
– A manuscript assessment and follow-up meeting with a literary editor from The Literary Consultancy.
– €1000 (two prizes available).
All Shortlisted Writers:
– Will be published in a truly smashing, limited edition book published by Desperate Literature and launched at the Desperate Literature Short Fiction Prize Salon, Madrid.
– Publication with one of Desperate Literature’s partner journals: Helter Skelter, The London Magazine, Prototype, gorse, Tenement, Kill Your Darlings, Minor Literature[s], The Second Shelf.
– Participation in Desperate Literature Prize events at Desperate Literature, Madrid and Burley Fisher, London.†
†Events depend upon availability at host establishment, please read
our eligibility & conditions for more details.
All Longlisted Writers:
– Will receive one year’s access to The Literary Consultancy’s ‘Being a Writer’ platform.
One Shortlisted Writer:
– Will be offered a two-week residency at Studio Faire, France.
*to see how the prize is funded, read all the prize details, see entry conditions and to assess your eligibility, please read our eligibility & conditions.